With a myriad of exotic spices, chai speaks to our indulgent nature. First, chai aromatically tempts. Then, one escapes into a cup of sweet complexity. Finally, this tea gives us a healthy punch of spices that are often overlooked. By the end of this memorable experience, one is usually a fan for life.
While many of us love this popular drink and order it often while out and about, few of us know how easy it is to make on our own. This winter, Zhi would like to make it easy for you to enjoy your favorite chai from the warmth and comfort of your home. It’s also a simple drink to share when traveling to visit others this holiday season.
Not only is chai delicious, but commonly used spices like cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg and fennel are said to boost the immune system, clear the sinuses and support the digestive system. Heart-healthy black teas are also good for bones and teeth.
Zhi Tea offers several varieties. The most familiar is Masala. Cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger gracefully combine in our Assam tea from India. This popular chai is great on its own, yet is hearty enough to uphold milk and sugar. To enjoy this tea, consider this easy recipe:
- 3 cups water
- 1 cups almond milk
- 4 teaspoons of chai
- agave or sugar to taste
Prep Time: 10 minutes; Tools: large pot, strainer; Serves 4
- In a large pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil.
- When boiling, add 4 heaping teaspoons of chai.
- Change heat to ‘medium’ and steep for 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of almond milk to tea.
- Bring tea up to a warm drinking temperature and sweeten to taste.
- When ready, carefully strain into thermos or pour direct into serving cups. (One might also strain into another large pot and serve using ladle).
- Sprinkle w/cinnamon, nutmug, or cacao powder.
Craving chocolate? Try our Cacao Chai! Love coconut? Try our Coconut Chai! Looking for a chai with a little less caffeine? Our Kasmiri Chai with a rare green tea base. Want a completely caffeine free treat? Try our Kenya Chai made with rooibos.